For this project, my team was tasked with translating functionality from an existing web application and optimizing features for use in a mobile context. In order to translate Ryecatcher into a mobile platform, our team wanted to first understand what was working well on the website. We reached out to two potential users, an administrator at a therapeutic school and a former school social worker. We gave these potential users a number of scenarios in which they interacted with the original Ryecatcher website. They provided some helpful insights from this research. For instance, we discovered that the website's attendance-taking feature was misleading and the tracker functionality was unclear. These insights later guided how we addressed trackers and attendance taking in the app.